Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Technology issues in education

We are asked to consider problems associated with the use of digital and networked technologies in education. From the top of my head and before I have a look around the blogs of others I came up with:

A multitude of skills and preferences as regards technology use, both on the side of students and teachers.

Lack of training in technology skills and using technlogy for research.

Technology itself can be unreliable - Often need a backup to technology-based activity incase it doesn't work - duplication.

Accessibility - VLEs often offline/not updated.

Sometimes activities seem constrained by technological/software parameters. Without being software developers or having funds to custom-build an app, course designers may be forced to squash activities into ill-fitting platforms.

Using technology can sometimes be more time consuming and less effective (in terms of learning).

De-personalisation/support issues.

And, as if to demonstrate, I lost my internet connection whilst posting this and had to save a local copy and repost when I got back online. Which reminds me also of various data backup, security and privacy issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment