Monday, 10 May 2010

F2F vs Online Tutoring

In the Activity 4 Elluminate session on Saturday we discussed how face-to-face and online tutoring differ. One thing of particular interest was comparing courses we had done, some of which were face-to-face, some of which were blended and some of which were wholly online. My own experience and those of others seemed to indicate that tutors’ capability with the technology could flavour our perceptions of them generally. And where this did occur negative perceptions were largely revised upon meeting tutors face-to-face. It certainly doesn’t seem fair though - of course we should not judge tutor’s subject knowledge and teaching skills by their technological capability. And in a face-to-face environment, where technology was involved, I don’t think the same would apply. I think it’s the lack of personal contact.

We also discussed how webcams might help bridge the gap between online and face-to-face learning. I think people are generally very resistant to this idea, but actually, I’ve surprised myself by being all for it. When I could see people on the webcam they became real people and I experienced a lot more empathy!

In terms of students’ approaches to learning and how it might be affected by technology such as Elluminate for tutorials – I think that a variation on Goodyear's ‘status of a live event’ effect mentioned in week 3 possibly comes into play. Whereby face to face tutorials would have a higher status than online tutorials. There could be a chance that students’ would place less importance on am online session, there’s less chance of embarrassment if you haven’t covered the materials, you can duck out of a session and blame the technology, where you couldn’t duck out of a classroom!

There are possibly more ‘control’ issues for tutors in online environments. In order to get everyone’s attention during a discussion you cannot simply give everyone ‘the look’. You don’t have that physical position of centrality and ‘leadership’ either. And so perhaps Elluminate supports a more democratic, collaboratively-constructive teaching approach. Although the moderator function still gives the tutor physical control of the room.

Also the name of the ‘hand-up' feature is very primary school!

In terms of fostering particular approaches to study, my initial reaction was that there’s no difference, but upon reflection I’ve tended to have more interaction and discussion with other students in Elluminate and so I do think it fosters a more collaborative approach and deeper thinking about the subject material.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon
    I enjoyed our Elluminate discussion - when I finally overcame the technical challenges!

    I agree that webcams would be good to overcome the impersonal nature of Elluminate (and of forums, in the sense that having seen someone in the past makes a difference when you're communicating in other modes).

    I'm conscious I get less sense of the tutor's pastoral role, having never met him. I don't normally need much support as a learner, but the technological challenges of H800 leave me less confident than on previous courses.

    Talking of technological challenge, I forgot to save the notes from Saturday's discussion (duh!). any chance you could send me a copy?
    Cheers
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsey,

    I don't think I have your email address, I'll attach it to a forum post though.

    S

    ReplyDelete